Friday, April 9, 2010

Autodidacticism

"I never let schooling get in the way of my education."~Mark Twain (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Autodidacticism)

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."~Leonardo da Vinci
(http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/leonardo_da_vinci.html)

Although I discovered this term mere weeks ago, it describes what I value most in life. Autodidacticism is self education, and I am the Autodidact. I must first acknowledge the significance of formal education in my life, for the past 13 years of school have cultivated the determination that allows me to pursue my vast hobbies along with academics. Likewise, school has given me indispensable knowledge about the world and its intricacies, whether through history, English, science, or music. Beginning in middle school, I was introduced to Science Olympiad, a nation-wide science competition available from middle school through high school. Engineering intrigued me, but, more simply, I enjoyed it like nothing else I had done before. I was convinced that it would be a lifelong career. Nevertheless, in the last four years, I changed my mind time and time again, but not because I disliked the subjects. Instead, I found that I could enjoy many hobbies and activities, from math to music and everywhere in between. I have found a subtle intricacy of learning that few of my close friends recognize; enjoyment of a topic can multiply learning tenfold. While all subjects are difficult to master, the factor of enjoyment is a matter of choice. What will you choose? I challenge you to embrace Autodidacticism. Make life more than it is. Live for more. Become empowered by the unceasing search for knowledge and understanding, but don't approach it grimly. Instead, pursue all aspects of life with a positive disposition. Most of all, never limit yourself in life. Live out your dreams, and exceed what anyone ever expected of you. But wait! What is this blog about, you ask? It is my own story of autodidacticism. I have often struggled with wanting to do too much at one time. This is my solution. I will approach one hobby at a time, and as I do so, I will post my experiences, and I will give all of you resources that you can use to plan your own journey for enlightenment, the pursuit of knowledge, or whatever you might call it. Join me in my tour of the myriad of the past-times in life, one at a time, in my feeble attempt to avoid insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment